Auroville (City of Dawn) is an experimental township in Viluppuram district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India near Puducherry in South India, whose stated purpose is to realize human unity in diversity. It is a popular tourist destination, and has been described as a "New Age metropolis conceived as an alternative exercise in ecological and spiritual living." The township starkly stands out from the surrounding traditional Indian villages and farms. Auroville is a small town 6 km north of Pondicherry.
This town was a vision of The Mother from the Sri Aurobindo Ashram at Pondicherry. She envisioned an international town where unity will be celebrated and all will have a spiritual vocation. At this time, the city has about 1,500 people from over 35 different nationalities, from which about one third are Indians (more than 15% are French and another 15% are German).
- lullulcatz likes this
- areashape reblogged this from colourofthesea
- paradoxically-free reblogged this from colourofthesea and added:
- thismachinekillsfascisttts likes this
- true-antagonist reblogged this from zuksthegreat
- zuksthegreat reblogged this from browngirlonanisland
- browngirlonanisland reblogged this from betterdisasters
- browngirlonanisland likes this
- myndbloc likes this
- betterdisasters reblogged this from colourofthesea
- iquote-thereforeiam reblogged this from colourofthesea
- doriansennui reblogged this from colourofthesea and added:
- colourofthesea posted this